Springdale Elementary School Counseling Department
Thank you for visiting the Springdale Elementary School Counseling webpage. Ms. Lashika (Shika) Palmer is the School Counselor for Springdale Elementary School, home of the Dolphins!
The Springdale School Counseling Department provides a comprehensive and developmental guidance and counseling program. The following services are provided:
- Direct Services - direct services are face-to-face interactions between students and myself, and include the following:
- School Counseling Core Curriculum (Classroom Guidance) - consists of planned developmentally appropriate lessons designed to help students achieve the desired competencies in academics, interpersonal skills, or careers.
- The D.I.V.E. (Dignity, Interact well with others, Value your education, and Encourage self and others) philosophy is used as the essential standards that guide each month’s guidance lessons.
- Individual Counseling - sessions on topics ranging from study skills to impulse control.
- Small Group Counseling - sessions with 2-5 students who are in need of related support for anger management, anxiety, health/wellness, to name a few.
- Indirect Services - indirect services are anything that is done on behalf of our students, and include the following:
- Consultations with all stakeholders such as administration, teachers, parents, and community members/community organizations.
- Referral for additional support services.
The Springdale School Counseling Department also facilitates various school-wide programs throughout the school year, including:
- Character Education
- Hispanic Heritage Day
- Red Ribbon Week (includes “College Spirit Day” and “Dress Your Dream Career Day”)
- Stomp Out Bullying
- Attendance Spirit Weeks
- Operation Get Smart
- Career Vehicle Day
- Career Readers Day
- Angel Tree
- Families Helping Families
- Friday Snack Packs
- Dolphins' Recycling Team
- Earth Day Recognition
- Souper Bowl of Caring Drive
- School Bus Safety Week
- Creates attendance plans and addresses truancy concerns
- Provides community assistance information
- Refers students and families to Lexington County Community Mental Health Center for school-based mental health counseling services
- Completes student referrals for services provided by the district Student Support Specialists
- Generates P.O.D.S. (Positive Outreach for Dolphin Students) activities, topics, and lesson plan suggestions for early release days
Please know that you are most welcome to contact Ms. Palmer if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas on how you can volunteer or collaborate with the Springdale School Counseling Department! We ARE a POD of Dolphins, and together we can continue to transform and think differently! Go Dolphins!