The Limited School Choice program will strive to maintain the current racial balance of the district. Optimum enrollment capacity will not be exceeded for any school, nor will students zoned to a school be displaced due to choice requests.
Choice requests will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Family/Student mitigating circumstances/needs (documentation required)
- The attendance and disciplinary history of the student
- The enrollment capacity of the requested school
- Obtain an application from the Lexington Two Office of Student Services (114 Hook Avenue, West Columbia) or any Lexington County School District Two school. Applications will be available beginning on January 15, 2020.
- Submit the completed application to the Lexington Two Office of Student Services (114 Hook Avenue, West Columbia) by March 16, 2020.
- Parents will be notified of their application status in writing by May 29, 2020.
- Limited School Choice is only available for legal residents of Lexington County School District Two for grades K5-12.
- Limited School Choice is not available for 3K or 4K preschool students.
- Applicants that are approved for school choice may continue to attend that specific school until completion of the highest grade level at the school. A new application must be submitted if the student moves from elementary (5th) to middle (6th) or middle (8th) to high (9th) when a student transitions to a new school.
- Siblings of students on school choice are not eligible for automatic attendance at the school of choice unless an application has been completed and approved for the sibling.
- If applying for more than one student, please use a separate application for each child.
- Limited school choice requests may be submitted for specific circumstances listed below in priority order (Family/Student mitigating circumstances/needs). The documentation listed for each priority must be provided at the time of submitting the application. No application will be considered without specific documentation.
- Medical needs (statement signed by doctor)
- Childcare provisions (statement signed by childcare provider)
- Parent's work location (statement signed by employer)
- Daycare location (statement signed by daycare provider)
- Continuation of school choice (moving from elementary to middle or middle to high) -- New application required
- Sibling placement with district-assigned program
- Other (attach an explanation to the application)
- Please note - high school and middle school students that are approved for Limited School Choice may be limited in athletic participation for one year due to the South Carolina High School League regulations.
- Bus transportation is not provided for students for the Limited School Choice program. Parents must provide transportation for the student to and from school.
- If approved for the program, students must maintain good behavior and good attendance (including no habitual tardiness or early dismissals) to continue in the Limited School Choice Program.